Friday, January 28, 2005

 

They Think Its All Over

I joined the Army in 1964 – spent 1965 in the Med (Malta etc) and was then, along with most of the British Army posted to Germany (or BAOR)(British Army of the Rhine), as it was known for reasons best known to itself. My Regiment was posted to one of the Backsides of the Universe or Minden as it was known. When I researched the area later in life (watched the History Channel mainly!) I discovered that the Minden Gap was where the Red hordes were going to come charging through life the mongol horde, on a wave of T62 main battle tanks – the estimate was 100 tanks to overwhelme a Company position armed with mainly 4 or 5 84mm Carl Gustav anti tank weapons or if you were support company 4 wombat 120 mm anti tank guns – You would last just long enough to kiss your Ass, or donkey if you had one,goodbye, before being blown to molecules – This if they decided on conventional warfare – or perhaps being tactical nuked, or gassed etc if they decided to let technology take the strain. Us fat and happy foot soldiers didn’t know any of this – we just firkled about on these large NATO exercises – you know the thing – drive within a mile of a german farmer’s barn and he sets it on fire and claims damages So there we were in our second year – 1966 – lots of good footy on – and German TV even showed some of the England games – and the local bars stocked up for what even they knew to be the inevitable final. Mien Gott, it happened. There we were, England in the Final of the World Cup with the Kaiser’s (Franz Beckenbaur) men.
My platoon were in a bar in Siemens Strasse watching the TV surrounded by the locals. Come half time and the bar owner started to get out the beer mats with “Deutchland, World Miesters” on them. My lot started to get quiet, an extremely bad sign with squaddies ! and then those immortal words “They think its all over “ The first bar stool went through the window – I was about 3 half litres of good German beer (Weser pills) brave and led from the front what a fight ! to the immensely politically incorrect war cries of “two world wars and one world cup” we cried havoc and let loose the dogs of war – I know I ended up in the local jail with half my section – along with another 40 or 50 squaddies from the garrison and it eventually cost us another 100 marks each in damages but it was worth it. Another great battle added to the Regiment’s Battle honours the”Battle of Minden 1966!!! “
mornin all
mog

Comments:
Very good. Glad you feel proud of your actions. No wonder the whole of Europe hates the English.
 
Well, damn, now I'm jealous. I thought it was us Yanks that the whole of Europe hated--and the whole of the world for that matter...
 
TMBTR: Cut the man a break, it was 39 years ago and a different world.
 
Scary - all the more reason not to hark back to it in such a way.
 
TMBTR - Reading most other stories here, you will find they are written with a hint of sarcasm. The author often having a point to make.

I think it's well worth having a story like this here, to remind all that this behaviour is no longer tolerated. From the apparent sarcasm in the last paragraph, it appears Mog thinks this is the case too?

Stay safe.
 
OK, fair enough. Point made (and taken). I too usually enjoy Mog's stories, just that this one (in my opinion) came a bit too close to glorifying football hooliganism.
 
Strange - re-reading the blog I now understand why people do seem to get the wrong end of some things - I am a patriotic type - having spent all of my adult life in The service of my country in one way or another I look back with the 20/20 hindsight of growing old and realise how things change over the years - It was a glorious adventure then - no ties or responsibilities getting drunk, fighting and getting locked up was part of being a brutal and licentious infantryman (See Wellington's comments) - Needless to say, as the years pass and one gets promoted one puts away childish things and acts as a responsible adult - anyway it soon settled back down and Great Britain went back to being little England and Lance Corporal Mog had to "charge" all his erstwhile friends to show them he was now a Non Commisioned Officer !! - Rule Britannia !!!
 
Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airport hotel
It deals mostly with airport hotel plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!
 
Hi great blog i must remember to bokmark you ... I have a horse racing blog myself I also have a new Online Auction to tell you about here online auction site get yourself $35.00 worth of free Advertising online auction site
 
Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family

TV Central - Download full TV shows and series, newest movies, plus other downloads. Watch TV and movies online. Burn Them right to Blank CD's and watch them over and over again.

Messenger City - 10,000+ emoticons - Use Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and AIM all in one, skins, nicknames, bots, add-ons, emoticons, avatars and smilies.

Baja música gratis ahora. Busca y encuentra MP3, Películas, Software y más. Downloads ilimitados, Quema CDs & DVDs.
 
Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**home coolinghome cooling
 
I was just searching blogs,and I found your site, Friend! I like it!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success.
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
utah car dealers
It pretty much covers utah car dealers related issues.
All the best!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?